Category Archives: Feedback

What People Say About Me!

Brian Finch Music

From: John Vyvyan
Date: Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 3:03 PM
Subject: Brian Finch Music
To: marionannfinch@gmail.com

Hi there,…just wanted to say how much I really enjoy listening to the music and songs of Brian Finch… I think he is the one of the Greatest !!
I have downloaded most of his songs over the years and always listen to them, most nights going home from work on the Train, (with earphones on !!), as I now live in Hampshire, England.
I have been a Lifelong fan of his music and used to go and watch Brian play at the Wagon Wheels Hotel in Florida Road in Durban when he used to play there with Kenny Henson way back in 1974/75
I have just yesterday, downloaded (via iTunes) some songs from his new CD ‘Living for Yesterday’ and think ‘Born in Africa’ is Great !!…can’t stop playing it !!
I am so glad that he is still Rocking the Nation !!…I play his music whenever we have a party…trying to spread his music to my friends over here in England…they all seem Hooked once they hear his songs!!
Keep up the Good work Brian !..Take Care !
Kind Regards
John Vyvyan.

Review on In Another World

Pure Finch – Pure Gold
One of the best country rock singers and lyric writers in the country – and maybe one of the last, troubadours on the planet.
Forget about blues, folk and the Africa influences, That is a chapter on it’s own.
One writer on the net said ” In Another world” is his best
We rocked until very late, We listen to old classic’s up until the latest songs. Where else have you ever heard such a soft
soothing voice – and then a stronger voice, and also the harmonica on “Tom Funny Blues”
With Paul (Chix) Herbst on bass, Zirk Jansen and Kevin Herbst with front and rhythm guitar. All on cd, which was recorded in Namibia.
All of us think of the haunting “Outta Lappies”. from PA who inspired Finch, to write his first ever Afrikaans song and to compose “;Waar is jy, my bru!  and we wonder about our last love (Another Romance). On “About you and me”, you will recognise Dylan from “Gotta Serve Somebody” and Forever Young’, when Finch holds his crowd hanging on your lips while they feel like dancing? All together?
Brian can!
This true Namibian “Kalahari Nights”, is the key which will force you back to the first song on the cd, time and time again, with the magic of his steel guitar.
Other songs like “Sunday Morning”, which is better than any other song with the same title, and you have to taste this one yourself.
In Another World, recorded at Hattrick Studio’s with Paul Herbst and (Herman (the Surgeon) Stadler, on keyboads, Herman on percucussion and Angels (Takkies) Taghafen on drums.  Except for “Kalahari Nights, which was recorded by the Guitar maestro Wouter de Bryn at Sondrew Studios.
LIVING FOR YESTERDAY
comments,
Sure is special, has a very different feel to previous albums and am convinced it will be a HUGE HIT!!   Brian Gultig.

Brian’s new CD

From: Rika Smit
Date: Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 10:32 AM
Subject: Brian’s new cd
To: Brian Finch

Hey Marion,

Thanks so much for the new cd. I think it is absolutely fantastic!!! I love the whole cd and think that this one is going to grow very big.

I can’t get enough of  Am I Dreaming, Living for Yesterday and also Never in Gold. These songs have been done brilliantly. And then Silent Water, what an absolutely stunning song…!!

The feeling that one gets when listening to this album makes you feel just so great.

You go Brian…!!

Kind regards,

Rika Smit

Brian’s new CD – LIVING FOR YESTERDAY!

From: Stefan Maree
Date: Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 9:15 PM
Subject: RE: Brian‘s new CD – LIVING FOR YESTERDAY! – order Stefan Maree
To: marionannfinch

Marion, Brian…I received you CD today…wow…look excellent! Congratulations to designers on production team…and specially Brian for allowing us to enjoy your creative spirit and music…wish Kenny could hear it..im sure he does. Thanx to all..from cover to music…outstanding! Love .Stefan

Living For Yesterday

From: Gudrun MacDonald
Date: Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 5:02 PM
Subject: RE: BRIAN FINCH CD ‘LIVING FOR YESTERDAY” POSTED
To: Brian Finch

Dear Marion,

I have received the CD – thank you so much. Immediately listened to it – unmistakable Brian! Love the lyrics – especially “Never in Gold” where lyrics from other songs reappear like “brother we got a long way to go”.

The whole CD is thought provoking, bringing back memories of the 70’s but at the same time reminding us of the struggles of today.

Dedicating the album to Kenny Henderson rounds it off – it is a fitting tribute to him.

I am sure my husband will love it too – can’t wait to get back to Australia and listen to it with him.

I will stay in touch via FB and hopefully when I come back next year will be able to attend another concert. Am missing this years in PA by a couple of days but was unable to change my flightsL

All the best to you and Brian – may he be blessed with lots of years of creating “the good stuff”.

Regards,

Gudrun

Thoughts on Living For Yesterday | Antonio Rivera

Write up from Nino, he produced Brian‘s first album Bringing Back The Good Times, and was at Brian‘s show in Durban at Tina”s.  here are his comments on the new album.

From: Antonio Rivera
Date: Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 6:34 AM
Subject: Re: BRIAN FINCH BOX SET COLLECTION SERIES
To: Marion & Brian Finch

Hi Marion

As for feedback, I listened briefly to LfY as a first time hearing in the car today. I like the diversity of songs Brian chose. As he mentioned in Kloof he writes a lot about you and his family. He might be a rogue who can stomach immense quantities of substances, but what an awesome family man who is so proud of it and a man who learns from and teaches his family, what love actually means. I love this about him and it comes through clearly in some of the songs on LfY. I’ve still yet to open the box set, but can’t wait.

To Hell with the Hangover | Weekend Argus

At 63, pub circuit veteran Brian Finch is still on the
road – and ruefully loving every moment.
JIM FREEMAN (TGW SUNDAY) WEEKEND ARGUS – OCTOBER 24, 2010/

IT’S JUST before 2am on Saturday. The Melkbossstrand gig is over but
there’s still one big table of brandy-boisterous farmers and their
partners hanging on ‘hoping for a last song from their hero. Cajoling
him with Jagermeisters and whiskies.
Brian Finch is exhausted – and more than a little emotional-but he’ll
die before he disappoints them.
He’s played for about five hours but he succumbs to their pleas and requests.
Only once does he look bemused-when a woman tells him how much his
songs mean to them on the farm.
Clearly, they remember the numbers that for him are half-forgotten.
Finch, at 63, has not stopped playing and touring for the past 40
years and has now hit his second wind. And he’s milking it because, as
he tells us the next afternoon while stetting up for the night’s
festivities at Cape Town’s Harley Davidson Club, he doesn’t know when
it’s going to end.
Finch is nursing a hangover from hell because the farmers, most of
whom he knows from back when he teamed with Ken E Henson, took him
home with them.
“This job is killing me” he groans.
Forty years on the road is a lot of Jagermeister,whiskey and beer.
Brian shudders, then grins. “And lots of other stuff”
Finch and Henson were one of South Africa’s most-loved duos,
remembered for their pub gigs.
Most of the numbers were composed by Finch but their covers revealed a
myriad musical influences- from Charlie Daniels to Warren Zevon. They
wer often described as a South
African Loggins and Messina.
“But my main influence was always Bob Dylan. I was blown away from the
first moment”
It’s an admission that causes a chuckle. He’s well-known for a number
where he adamantly refuses to play any Dylan unless a Young woman at a
gig tells him she’ll only get her kit off if he sings something from
the King of Sinus.
“How many roads must a man go down”, croons Finch in the last line of
the song “before he can call himself a man”
Somewhere in that dig at himself is an element of of deeper truth:
Finch is desperately keen to please.  He’s an entertainer to his core
and the business of his business is pleasing audiences.
In the past he was mainly the composer and voice that complemented
Henson’s guitar playing. Henson’s been dead three years, but even
before that Finch started developing as a solo performer or front man
of self-convened bands. His voice has a timbre and roughness lacking
in the previous years and it wins him new fans wherever he plays.
He sold over R1 000 worth of CDs at the Melkbos gig, he says.
Finch has just penned his first Afrikaans number, Outa Lappies, about
an itinerant tradesman’s in his home town of Prince Albert in the
Karoo. He needs about another three
songs for a new album but admits that writing them is getting harder.
Singing them, though, is still breeze. No matter how much he complains
about his health and consumption of booze and cigarettes, he is
remarkably spry and relates how he designed and built his Prince
Albert home with “the help of a couple of locals, who mixed the
cement”. He’s a qualified draughtsman, after all.
Finch has also recently played in Britain, the Netherlands and
Germany, a tour he attributes to the power of Face book.
Two hours later and the hangover is forgotten. He’s rocking to a crowd
of bikers and loving it, despite never having ridden a motorcycle
himself. “Can somebody get me a Jagermeister?”.
There’s life in the old dog yet.

Contact from Ireland…after more years than I care to recall!

From: John Mulcahy
Date: Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 5:49 PM
Subject: Contact from Ireland…after more years than I care to recall!
To: info@brianfinch.co.za

Hi,

I am writing from County Donegal, Ireland, where I have been living for 12 years, after leaving South Africa for Hong Kong and Asia in 1984. I was a reporter with the Rand Daily Mail, and in the late 1970s/early 1980s caught as manyFinch & Henson or Brian Finch gigs as I could, and/or which I was aware of…Playgrounds in Paradise, Lonely Spaceman, Belinda Lou and, at least in my view, a version of Cocaine that out-rocked JJ Cale or Clapton – these were soundtracks to a period of my life which was chaotic, to say the least, but where at least the music was good, thanks to Finch, Lucey, etc…

On a recent visit to SA [Yes, for the Fick Fufa World Cup!] I visited an old buddy who put on “The Best of Finch & Henson” and I had goose bumps, which is saying something for a 58-year old fortunate to have survived my own extreme self-abuse! So many great memories, and so I Googled and have visited the website, where I found this address. It is highly improbable that Brian will remember me, but I wanted to let him know that it is not only for the Facebook generation that his immense talent has been “re-discovered”. I am attaching a pic, but it will need to be viewed through a filter of 16 Castles and who knows what other substances I may have been imbibing in the ’70s and ’80s!

As it happens, I travel to Cape Town regularly on business, and will make an effort to find out if/when Brian is playing, so that I can remind myself what a REAL JOL is about. I have got to the point where I try not to look back [at least not in anger], but I do get nostalgic sometimes about that weird time in history, where the world had turned its back on us, and when it was not only the sportsmen, but the incredible musicians of the time who were deprived of a platform.

What a gift to find that Brian Finch is still rocking, and to have discovered this before the onset of Alzheimers! It makes me want to light up a doob and sit on the rocks watching the sun set over Jeffreys Bay…

John Mulcahy